Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Prelude to a Race Report


Before I publish my "official" Syracuse Race report tomorrow let me take a moment to explain why I  (and others) publish these things in the first place:

Usually when a triathlete returns a rental wetsuit or wheels to Bonzai after a race, I like to ask how his/her race went. Some customers say something along the lines of "oh, it was good" then leave. However, a percentage of those asked (I would estimate around 40-45%) will give you a 20-30 minute intricate, elaborate, stroke-by-stroke, mile-by-mile, step-by-step, race report complete with rants about the jerk who cut him (or her) off on the bike, how the Ironman Perform drink was not blended to the correct strength, the quality of the bowel movements before, during, and/or after the race, calorie intake, and a power analysis that even Training Peaks would be proud of. (While I occasionally speak in hyperbole, these past examples are actually what people have described to me when I inquired about their race. Sometimes you cannot even make stuff up like this).

All I can do is smile, nod, and keep an open mind while trying not to pass judgement. Unless I am slammed with work or other customers, I rarely cut them off because talking about a race afterwards is not only beneficial from a training perspective but also therapeutic. (Believe it or not I actually like to hear all the stories about "what actually happened" during a race. With all the different perspectives, it's like reading a James Joyce book.)

My Spiddy sense are tingling just writing this
Analyzing a race, allows you to analyze what went as planned, think about what went wrong, and highlight your mistakes so that in the next race you do not make the same ones. Looking at power and splits can also point out the weak points that you will need to work on in the training leading up to your next race.




In my race report tomorrow and those to follow I will try to avoid:

  1. Bashing the race organizers
  2. Ego boosts
  3. Self-deprecation 
  4. Using it as a means to pick up women (<---no guarantees here)
  5. Elaboration and hyperbole i.e. turn a sprint into an Ironman 
What I aim for is:

  1. A way to get my thoughts out on the page and put words to my emotions (I am just that sensitive)
  2. Write down both my strengths and my weakness so that I can improve and get advice from others on what to do differently
  3. Some humor, some tragedy, some light hearted but true stories
  4. Provide race tips to those who will race the same race next year
  5. Provide general race tips and tricks that I found worked
  6. Prevent readers (and myself) from making the same mistakes that I did.
Hopefully, what I write will help. I  know that just writing it down helps me...but thats my two watts.


Stay posted tomorrow for my Syracuse race report

No comments:

Post a Comment